Saturday, July 25, 2009

Ipod

IPod is a brand of portable media players designed and marketed by Apple Inc. and launched on October 23, 2001 (2001-10-23). The product line-up includes the hard drive-based IPod Classic, the touch screen IPod Touch, the video-capable IPod Nano, and the compact IPod Shuffle. The iPhone can function as an iPod but is generally treated as a separate product. Former iPod models include theIPod Mini and the spin-off IPod Photo. IPod Classic models store media on an internal hard drive, while all other models use flash memory to enable their smaller size. As with many other digital music players, iPods can also serve as external data storage devices. Storage capacity varies by model.

Apple's iTunes software can be used to transfer music to the devices from computers using certain versions of Apple Macintosh and Microsoft Windows operating systems. For users who choose not to use Apple's software or whose computers cannot run iTunes software, several open source alternatives to iTunes are also available. iTunes and its alternatives may also transfer photos, videos, games, contact information, e-mail settings, Web bookmarks, and calendars to iPod models supporting those features. As of September 2008, more than 173,000,000 iPods had been sold worldwide, making it the best-selling digital audio player series in history.

3 comments:

  1. I have to say that I think that the Apple IPod is one of the greatest inventions of all time. A handheld machine that plays music, stores pictures, allows you to play games and download a variety of applications – there is nothing that this little machine can’t do!

    In my case my IPod is just like my keys and my cell phone – it goes with me everywhere. I dock it at home, in the car and at work and listen to it while I workout or am doing yard work.

    While the IPod for me is strictly an entertainment device, its implications for others are vast and wide. Some students download copies of their lectures or books to listen to. Others use it to store digital media files such as video and pictures. Calendars allow people to keep track of dates and appointments and some even download drink making software to create their favorite drinks. Numerous add-ons are also available to turn your IPod into a laser pointer, a video player or a voice recorder.

    For such a small piece of equipment its capabilities truly are remarkable.

    ~Angela (A Bag of Tricks)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just received my new Itouch in the mail… I must say that I love it. I was so impressed with all of its extensive capabilities compared to the regular iPod. I have been playing nonstop, downloading different apps left and right. I have come to think that it has become a status symbol. The white ear buds are distinct and recognizable. In a sense the iPod has created an alternate world. People become so wrapped up in their music that they separate themselves from those that are physically surrounding them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am lost without my iPod! Ive always been a big fan of music, and depending on the mood im in, is the type of music i will listen to. It used to be such a hassle to dig through Cds or even Casettes to find a song i was in the mood for. Now, all i have to do it push my finger around in a circle and hit the middle button to find the perfect song! The size is the most impressive aspect to the ipod. For something so little, it can hold hundreds of songs, movies, music videos, games, pictures, etc. Such an improvement from the now outdated Walkman!

    ReplyDelete